Buddy's OC-3 & OC-6 Crawlers



THE OLIVER OC-3 CRAWLER

Oliver OC-3

Buddy Webber's OC-3 was one of two parked alongside an orange grove in Florida for many years. After a devastating freeze on March 15, 1971, which killed thousands of citrus trees and other crops, the crawlers were puchased in New York and transported to Florida. An iron beam was fastened between the two and they were driven thourgh citrus groves pushing over dead trees. Following that, a crawler with a blade pushed the trees together and they were burnt. The two OC-3's were parked and not used again. Buddy's brother lived in Florida and he spotted the tractors in 1996. After determining that Buddy was interested in the crawlers, the brother negotiated a price and purchased them. Buddy borrowed a large trailer and brought the tractors to Texas. One of the crawlers ran, and it was was sold to a acquaintance. The other was completely dismantled and given a ground-up restoration.

Restoration of the OC-3 took two years. Parts for old Oliver crawlers can be difficult to find; one of the few sources is Zimmerman Oliver/Cletrac in Ephrata, Pennsylvania (717) 738-2573 www.olivercletrac.com To see pictures of the final stages of the restoration process, click on Oliver OC-3

The Oliver OC-3 with slight modifications, was actually the Cleveland Tractor Company's Model HG, a compact crawler introduced in 1939. The OC-3 was unique in that it could be converted from tracks to wheels. The wheel tractor was designated the Model GG--the General. The Model GG was marketed in Canada by Massey-Harris and in the United States by Montgomery Ward and the Farmers Union CO-OP. In 1942, the Model GG was sold to B.F. Avery & Sons, and the Avery Company sold the tractor as the Model A. After Minneapolis-Moline acquired B.F. Avery and Sons in 1951, the tractor was sold as the MM Model BF.

Buddy's OC-3 has a specification plate that reads Oliver OC-3-42-I SN 15WH 212. OC-3 indicates that the tractor is an Oliver Crawler Model 3 that was built with a 42-inch tread width (center-to-center). The I means that the tractor is an Industrial model. The serial number 15WH 212 reveals that the OC-3 was built in 1955.

The Oliver OC-3 had full-pressure lubrication and the lubrication system was designed to work positively on side grades of up to 35% and fore and aft grades of up to 45%. The carburetor was gravity-fed. The crankcase and cylinders were cast as one unit.  The OC-3 could be equipped with a variety of fork-lifts, loaders, bulldozer blades, and V-type snow plows. The crawler had unusually high clearance, which made it particularly useful for cultivating and other row-crop work. Optional grousers included pressed-steel pavement plates, rubber-block highway treads, or 6, 8, or 10-inch ice tracks. Electric starting was standard equipment on the OC-3 industrial model with a 42-inch track width; it was optional on all other OC-3 models. Engine side-shields were standard on the OC-3 with a 31-inch track width, but optional on all models. A PTO, belt-pulley, rear-mounted winch, and electric lights were optional, as was a completely-enclosed cab, and a heavy-duty radiator guard designed for use in the logging and lumber industry.



THE OLIVER OC-6 CRAWLER

Oliver OC-6

Buddy Webber purchased his Oliver OC-6 in 1996 at an auction in Durham, Kansas. He described the process he went through to acquire the tractor in an article published in Hart-Parr/Oliver Collector Magazine in 1999. To read the article and to view pictures of the restoration process, click on Oliver OC-6

Buddy's OC-6 was built in 1954. The crawler's serial-number plate reads OC6 - 68 - D SN 1RC-042. OC6 indicates that the tractor is a Oliver Crawler Model 6, 68 specifies that the crawler was sold with a 68-inch tread width (center-to-center), and D states that the crawler has a Diesel engine. If the crawler was an industrial model, an I would be included. 1RC-042 indicates that the crawler was built in 1954. The OC-6 was actually an Oliver Model 77 wheel-type tractor mounted on a track unit. The OC-6 was the first Oliver crawler originating from Oliver's Charles City, Iowa, plant instead of Cletrac's Clevland, Ohio, plant. The OC-6 was designed as a farm tractor. During the last few years of production, it was also available as the OC-66 end loader. An OC-6 with a 42-inch tread width sold for $5,200 in 1958; the OC-6-D was listed for $5,900. A three-point hitch was available for $325; a PTO cost an additional $165. Electric lights were standard, but $25 was deducted if the crawler was ordered without them. Other options included a full hydraulic system and a tool bar for the three-point hitch. Most OC-6's were painted yellow.

Buddy's crawler was featured at the 1999 National Hart-Parr/Oliver Association Show in New York. In that capacity it appeared on the cover of Oliver Magazine, on the slipcover of the show video, and in the video itself. It was, and still is, the tractor pictured on the Association's caps, shirts and belt buckles.

Ten years later, Buddy's OC-6 was chosen by the Early Day Gas Engine & Tractor Association (EDGE&TA) to appear on the button given to all members. The photograph above and on your right pictures the OC-6 at EDGE&TA's National Show in Fredericksburg, Texas, on June 13-15, 2009. The photograph was taken by Fritz Ozuna of Comfort, Texas.



For additional information or to discuss Oliver Tractors, please feel free to contact Buddy Webber at 830-634-2927 (landline) or 830-370-9233 (cellphone) or bwebber@hctc.net


SERIAL NUMBERS

YEAR

OC-3 (gasoline)

OC-6 (gasoline)

OC-6 (diesel)

1951 1WH000 - 3WH711
1952 3WH712 - 11WH759
1953 350000 - and up 3502785 - and up 3502776 - and up
1954 4500005 - and up 4500002 - and up 4500007 - and up
1955 11WH760 - 15WH305 1RM182 - 1RM313 1RC468 - 1RC631
1956 15WH306 - 19WH089 1RM314 - 1RM503 1RC632 - 1RC875
1957 19WH090 - and up 1RM504 - 1RM807 1RC876 - 1RC261
1958 1RM808 - 2RM003 2RC62 - 2RC365
1959 2RM004 - 2RM125 2RC366 - 2RC457
1960 2RM126 - and up 2RC458 - and up
In 1953 and 1954, all models were numbered consecutively, with the first two digits being the year in reverse. From 1954 to 1959, approximately 1,456 crawlers were built. Serial numbers on the OC-6 were located on metal plate below the instrument panel.


SPECIFICATIONS

OLIVER OC-3

OLIVER OC-6

YEARS PRODUCED 1951 to1957 1953 to 1960
NEBRASKA TESTS No Nebraska tests Tests 516 & 517
PLOW RATING 2-14 3-14
ENGINE MAKER Hercules Model IXB-3 Oliver-Waukesha
ENGINE TYPE 4 cylinders, in-line, vertical L-head 6 cylinders, in-line vertical L-head
BORE & STROKE 3.25 x 4 inches  3.3125 X 3.75
DISPLACEMENT 132.7 cubic inches 193.9 cubic inches
MAXIMUM RPM 1,7OO RPM 1,600 RPM
COMPRESSION 6.67.1 6.75:1 gas; 15.75.1 diesel
HORSEPOWER 22 HP at drawbar 33.19 HP at drawbar
GEARS & SPEED First gear           2.01 MPH
Second gear     3.19 MPH
Third gear          5.25 MPH
Reverse             2.33 MPH
First gear           1.88 MPH
Second gear     2.44 MPH
Third gear          3.23 MPH
Fourth gear        4.19 MPH
Fifth gear           5.15 MPH
Sixth gear          8.86 MPH
Reverse 1          1.92 MPH
Reverse 2          3.31 MPH
CLUTCH 9-inch single dry plate, spring-loaded Single dry plate, spring-loaded
REAR TREAD WIDTH
(center-to-center)
31, 42, 60, or 68 inches
42 inches was standard
42, 60, or 68 inches
LENGTH 100 1/8 inches 121 1/2 inches
WIDTH 41.25 - 78.25, depending on tread 50 - 76 inches, depending on tread
HEIGHT 50 inches, without exhaust pipe 58.75 inches, at dash
WEIGHT (dry, approximate) 3,560 pounds 5,280 pounds, gasoline
5,425 pounds, diesel
STEERING Planetary differential in final drive Planetary differential in final drive
NUMBER OF SHOES PER TRACK 33
TRACK SHOE WIDTH 6, 8, 10 or 12 inch 8, 10, 12 or 14 inch
12 inch is standard
TRACK LENGTH 50 inches on ground 54.125 inches on ground
TURNING RADIUS 7 feet, 7.5 inches
BRAKES Mechanical, with contracting band Mechanical, with contracting band
GROUND CLEARANCE 18.75 inches 22.5 inches
CARBURETOR Marvel-Schebler, Model TSX-406, 1.875 inches Marvel-Schebler, Model TSX-405,
0.875 inches gasonline
INJECTOR PUMP Bosch injector pump
MAGNETO Wico, Model XH-1113
GENERATOR, GASOLINE Delco-Remy Model 1100504 6-volt system
with one battery
GENERATOR, DIESEL Delco-Remy  Model 1100953 12-volt system
with two 6-volt batteries
AIR CLEANER Vortox Vortox, gasoline; Donaldson, diesel
COOLING SYSTEM 2.75 gallons 4.25 gallons
FUEL TANK 12 gallons 16.5  gallons
CRANKCASE 5.5 quarts 5 quarts
TRANSMISSION CASE 2 gallons 5.5 gallons
FINAL DRIVES 0.75 quart each 4.5 quarts each, plus 1.5 quarts added for PTO & belt pulley
POWER TAKE OFF (PTO) Optional 1.375 inches, 533 RPM
PULLEY 8.5 -inch diameter; 6.5-inch face 10-inch diameter; 6.75-inch face
PULLEY SPEED 1,030 RPM; 2300 FPM 1,184 RPM; 3,100 FPM
HYDRAULIC SYSTEM Optional Hydraulic lift


A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE OLIVER FARM EQUIPMENT COMPANY

Thomas H. White incorporated the White Sewing Machine Company in 1876. This company produced a variety of products such as bicycles, roller skates, phonographs, kerosene lamps, and lathes. In 1901, the White Steam Car was introduced. The automobile was so popular that a separate corporation called White Motors was formed in 1906. White Company engineers begin to experiment with farm tractors in 1911 and, in 1916, the Cleveland Motor Plow Company was formed to produce a line of crawlers. In 1917, the name of the company was changed to the Cleveland Tractor Company and the company adopted the trademark Cletrac in 1918. The Clevland Tractor company was sold to the Oliver Farm equipment Companhy in the fall of 1944.

The Oliver Farm Equipment Company was formed on April 2, 1929, with the merger of three companies--The Oliver Chilled Plow Works, The Hart-Parr Company, and the Nichols & Shepard Company. On May 17, 1929, the American Seeding Machine Company was added, and on July 27, 1929, the McKenzie Company was acquired. At that point, the Oliver Farm Equipment Company offered a full line of farm machinery, with the exception of haying equipment. By the end of 1929, the Oliver Company tied for third place in sales with the J.I Case Company, behind International Harvester and Deere & Company.

The Oliver Farm Equipment Company purchased the Cleveland Tractor Company in 1944 and the merged companies were given a new name--the Oliver Corporation.

In 1960, the White Motor Company acquired the Oliver Corporation and made it a subsidiary.

In 1962, the White Motor Company purchased the Cockshutt Farm Equipment Company and made Cockshutt a subsidiary of the Oliver Corporation. In 1963, White purchased Minneapolis-Moline and it also became a subsidiary of White. In 1966, White changed its name from Company to Corporation, to satisfy govenment regulations and then purchased the Hercules Engine Division of the Hupp Corporation. Late in 1969, the White Motor Corporation organized the White Farm Equipment Company as a new, wholly-owned subsidiary. The White Farm Equipment Company was a merger of the Oliver and Minneapolis-Moline subsidiaries

The White Motor Corporation experienced a financial crisis beginning in 1975 and it was forced into bankruptcy in 1980. In November, 1980, the White Farm Equipment division was sold to the TIC Investment Corporation of Dallas, Texas. In 1985, White Farm Equipment (WFE) was forced into bankruptcy. In September, 1985, the Allied Products Corporation purchased White Farm Equipment. In June, 1991, the Deutz-Allis Corporation purchased the White tractor line from the Allied Products Corporation and then changed its name to the Allis Gleaner Company (AGCO), with Deutz-Allis retained as a brand name. The last tractor built with the Oliver name and Meadow-Green color was built in the Charles City, Iowa, plant in 1976.