- 1 How do I know if my spindle is bad on my riding mower?
- 2 How do you remove a lawn mower spindle?
- 3 How do I know if my lawn mower spindle is bent?
- 4 How long do mower spindles last?
- 5 How do you test a spindle bearing?
- 6 When should I replace my spindle?
- 7 Do lawn mower spindles come greased?
- 8 How do you remove a spindle shaft pulley?
- 9 What causes a bent spindle?
- 10 Why does my lawn mower cut uneven?
How do I know if my spindle is bad on my riding mower?
If the spindle looks bent or broken, then it needs to be replaced. You will feel how the blades start to move unevenly and cut your grass in a disorganized way. In some cases, the blade won’t spin at all or instead make loud cracking noises. Either way, it means your spindle needs some replacement.
How do you remove a lawn mower spindle?
Changing your lawn tractor spindle is fairly easy. Summary
- Remove the spindle cover.
- Remove the Spindle nut on top that holds the pulley on.
- Lift the Pulley up and over the spindle, set to one side.
- Remove the four bolts hilding the spindle on to the mowing deck.
- drop the spindle and remove the blade.
How do I know if my lawn mower spindle is bent?
if it was bent you would probably feel some vibration and hear more of a roar from the air underneath the deack. however this roar would not not have as much rhythm as normal. try to see if there is any play in the center blade though, also check for unusual wear in the belt that drives that particular spindle.
How long do mower spindles last?
The maintenance free spindles usually last about 2-3 years in commercial use.
How do you test a spindle bearing?
put a streight round bar in a tool holder and put it in the spindle. Then put a. 0001 indicator on the round bar and push the bar with your hand. If you can deflect the spindle more then a tenth or two with your hand you have a bearing problem.
When should I replace my spindle?
Worst case is the hub and wheels leave the vehicle and the spindle hits the ground causing it to bend. In these cases the whole spindle needs to be replaced. If you have more than 1 damaged surface, it means the spindle took some abuse and it would be better to replace the spindle.
Do lawn mower spindles come greased?
The rotating parts of the spindle must be greased periodically to maintain smooth operation, and prevent overheating and potential damage. Mowers, such as the John Deere D100 series, require only a shot or two of grease periodically.
How do you remove a spindle shaft pulley?
Take two bolts and thread them in the two smaller holes. Tighen the bolts slowly and evenly and the pulley will drop down. Then take a small chisel and open up the vertical line in the hub. You may need to use a puller to get the hub off of the shaft, but it will come.
What causes a bent spindle?
This can occur during an auto accident, running over a curb, or even hitting a particularly deep pothole at higher speeds. The result is a bent axle.
Why does my lawn mower cut uneven?
Uneven cutting is wavy or smooth troughs in the lawn surface. Uneven cutting is usually caused by mower deck damage or misadjustment.